By James Nelson
Okay, so I for one am a man who enjoys a good fan theory every now and again. I can’t help but indulge in the idea that each James Bond is a different person who assumed the code identity of Bond (until Skyfall debunked this theory), or that all of Tarantino’s movies either exist in the same universe or are themselves films in that universe. However, there is one theory that has cropped up since the first teaser for The Force Awakens, that has continued to gain steam. That theory is that Luke Skywalker is in fact Kylo Ren. In short, it’s preposterous, and I’ll explain why.
- This picture from The Force Awakens.
- Look at this picture of Kylo Ren:and now this picture: You see how the two pictures of Ren are clearly the same person? Okay.
- Now the particularly paranoid fans out there will not take this photographic evidence at face value. After all, JJ Abrams is a sneaky one. He wouldn’t be above leaking images to throw us off his mystery box madness would he? Well, lets take a look at Mark Hamil’s current physique. Mark Hamill is 5 feet 9 inches tall and at the time of film production looked like this: Adam Driver, the one who was CAST AS KYLO REN, is 6 foot, 3 inches tall, and looks like this:
You see. They don’t look alike. In every shot we’ve seen it’s obviously been Adam Driver, but if physical evidence is not enough to convince you, stay with me.
- Return of the Jedi was about one thing: Luke saving his father from the grip of the Dark Side. It was about Anakin Skywalker finding redemption and Luke passing his final trial. He was “a Jedi, like my father before me.” It would be a shocking character reversion for Luke to fall to the Dark Side after facing such temptation, and then turning away from it. I’m not saying that Luke couldn’t still be tempted, but Luke wouldn’t be leading stormtroopers into battle. If he were to have fallen to the Dark Side he would probably be the head of the Knights of Ren, or maybe even be Supreme Leader Snoke.
- Also, when the crossguard lightsaber was first introduced, a lot was made about how it was constructed. It seemed to be what someone who had never seen a saber would have thought was practical. Abrams has even said that Ren built the lightsaber and stated that it was as “fierce and as ragged as the character.” Which seems to be another way of stating that this might be his first attempt at a saber. We all know Luke has already built a saber.
- Finally, without Luke serving as the new Ben Kenobi (I personally think Han will serve that role and he will be like Yoda) there is no one left to teach the ways of the Jedi. In canon (as of now), all the Jedi are dead except Luke. Now they could potentially learn from Force Ghosts, but that would be a strange way of doing it. If Luke fell, and did not train any other Jedi, then there is no one left to teach them.
Check out some of our other Star Wars posts here or head back to our homepage here!